Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Happy Beltane!

Beltane is May 1st. Here's what's cooking at our house this May Day:

Beltaine Sorrel Soup

WeightWatchers POINTS® Value: 2, Servings: 7

This is a May Day tradition in my family. Our daughter and I pick the sorrel right from our garden in the morning, after washing our faces in morning dew -- supposedly doing so will give you lifelong youthful beauty. Of course eating this soup is so deliciously good for you it will surely contribute to true beauty...the kind that radiates from within as a result of good health!

The lemony taste of sorrel is distinctive, but any green could be substituted to make a delicious brew.

Ingredients:

1 pound potatoes
1 medium onion
8 oz asparagus
1/2 pound baby carrots
2 1/2 cup cooked lentils
2-3 cups chopped sorrel

Instructions:

In the bottom of a large heavy pot lightly coated w/grapeseed oil, saute the onion till softened. Add 4-6 cups veggie broth, the diced carrots & potatoes. Simmer till nearly tender. Add lentils & chopped asparagus, simmer till all veggies are soft. Add the sorrel, waiting just a minute or so for the sorrel to wilt. Salt & black pepper to taste.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am serving this soup with a salad of spring greens and a May Day basket of bread twists -- braids, knots & weaving are symbolic of the season. I'm purchasing the dough this year and baking them off myself.

After lunch we'll be hanging May baskets on some of our neighbor's doors -- a sweet old custom. We've made our baskets out of decorated recycled soymilk containers and have filled them with pansies. Read my Earth Day blog entry for more about these.

When we get back home, for dessert we are having these wonderful cupcakes, dusted with powdered sugar and topped with a strawberry slice:


Easy Chocolate Cupcakes


WeightWatchers POINTS® Value: 3, Servings: 12

These cupcakes are the yummiest I've tried -- moist, light and soooo easy! I halved the recipe from the original, so double it to make a traditional sized cake. Aside from my substitution of applesauce for some oil, the recipe is exact as gotten from: http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/cake.html

Ingredients

1/2 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup water
1 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Instructions

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until smooth. Bake in papered muffin pan at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Happy spring!!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I made the cupcakes yesterday and they were amazing! So moist, I can't believe they are low fat.

This will be my new chocolate cake recipe now, thank you!

Cloudberry said...

Thanks for the tip about vegan food. I'll look at her blog, and your blog is also full of good recepis :) My youngest boy have milk/egg allergy so derfor we have to make alternatives for him. And the easiest is to make it for the whole family.

Kayleigh said...

anonymous -- I KNOW -- aren't they the BEST!

hege -- thanks for stopping by and for the compliment about my blog. I agree, it's always easier to do for the whole family rather than separate. I'll keep checking your blog too...those rolls looked yummy :)

Irisi said...

Goodness me! I love both of your blogs now! Well, I sure am glad that you stopped by mine so I could discover yours. ::adds blog to "favorite cooking references" bookmark folder::

:)

Kayleigh said...

:) Aw, thanks Irisi -- I'm glad you popped into this blog, too!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could havе sworn I've visited this website before but after going through many of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Regardless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be boоk-mаrking it аnd checkіng back frequently!


my webρage: sportsbet

Anonymous said...

Hello! This pοst сould not be written anу better!
Reaԁing thіs post reminds me of mу good old room mate!
He always kеpt talking аbοut
this. I will foгward this write-up tο him.
Prеtty surе he wіll have a goοd
гead. Thankѕ fοr ѕharіng!



Havе a loοκ аt my homepage :
: coffeе pure cleanse gnc ()

Anonymous said...

My brotheг suggested I maу lіke thіs blog.
He used to bе entiгely right.
This put up асtuаlly made my day.
Υou сann't believe just how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

Feel free to surf to my web-site :: Car Insurance quotes